z

Young Writers Society



Soul-Searching

by black star of darkness


Hey this is a sonnet I wrote at school and liked, so would some peeps mind giving their opinion please!

My lonely soul forever lost to me,
Out of reach in a place I cannot find,
Locked 'way in the deep confines of my mind.
Hidden from me so that I cannot see,
With a jailer who through away the key.
All of my knowledge about being kind,
In my destructive wake it's left behind.

My stone-cold heart beats out blood made of ice,
With each crime, I lose more of myself,
Will never know what it means to be nice,
My emotions tucked 'way on a high shelf,
And with a last desperate throw of the dice,
I do something that damages my health.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 30

Donate
Fri May 09, 2008 8:58 pm
nightmarebook13 wrote a review...



okay.... hmmm.... very impressive. little dark but thats how i like it. perhaps draw inspriation from some music would help make it longer and more in depth. i want to know what happened to make you feel this way as the reader. but very good. =)


? nightmare




User avatar
115 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 115

Donate
Thu May 08, 2008 10:57 pm



that was really kinda dark. Ny'ways, still loved it. just, try not to make it sound so emo. Not that emo is bad, I just don't think it was your best. Don't worry. I still loved it.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 11

Donate
Mon May 05, 2008 9:21 pm



This is a really good pome




User avatar
84 Reviews


Points: 3165
Reviews: 84

Donate
Mon May 05, 2008 7:56 pm
Knurla wrote a review...



I agree with both of the above crits, especially Demeter. "who through..." made the poem feel a little awkward. I think you should take her advice in replacing it with "who threw away."

"My stone-cold heart beats out blood made of ice,"
That one was my favorite line from the whole poem, but I think that stanza seems a little too blunt, like Demeter decribed as "Emo". Try spicing it up a little.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it!




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Mon May 05, 2008 5:21 pm
Demeter wrote a review...



I liked this, although there were a few things disturbing me.

"Jailer" doesn't sound like a real world, of course this may be the whole point, but still, I think i.e. "prisoner" would've been a better word. And it should be "who threw away the key" not "who through...".

The ending is awkward. "I do something that damages my health" sounds emo and besides, it's too telling. If you know what I mean.

But, these where only a couple of things. Other than that, good. :)

All the best from
Demeter




User avatar
270 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 270

Donate
Mon May 05, 2008 4:39 pm
blacktiger3915 says...



I like writing sonnets and I enjoyed reading this. I thought it was creative and well thought out. Good job and keep writing!




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 5120
Reviews: 317

Donate
Mon May 05, 2008 4:12 pm
mizz-iceberg wrote a review...



Hmm, I usually don't critique poetry but the title caught my eye and I decided to check it out. Overall I really liked it and I think you've done very well.

With a jailer who through away the key.
All of my knowledge about being kind,


This part just bothered me for some reason. I think mainly because I think the word 'kind' was rather weak to fit in with the rest of the well described poem.

But then again may it's just me. Personally I think you did very well in showing not telling so kudos for that!
My stone-cold heart beats out blood made of ice,
With each crime, I lose more of myself,


Loved this part!
Will never know what it means to be nice,

Again, wasn't too fond of this as I find the word 'nice' rather weak and too vague.

But overall I'd say this was a great poem! The descriptions were vivid and went well with the message. Keep writing!





You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote